glib gmodule - help.

 I am trying to load a shared lib using gmodule, but for some reason the lib
cannot be found.

  Here is a desc. of what I am doing:

  Program:
  ./testgmodule  ( can be found on /glib-1.2.10/gmodule souce code
distribution)

  I modified line 63 from:
plugin_a = g_strconcat (string, "/.libs/", "libgplugin_a.so", NULL);

to:

plugin_a =
g_module_build_path("/mnt/hdd1/downloads/glib-1.2.10/gmodule/.libs","libgp");

 The glib doc for g_module_build_path says:
"The platform-specific prefix and suffix are added to the
filename, if needed, and the result is added to the directory, using the
correct separator character. "

 However I get the following error when I run the program:

error: /mnt/hdd1/downloads/glib-1.2.10/gmodule/.libs/libgplugin_a: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory.

NOTE: Using the original version, it works.

I am doing something wrong here ?
I am running on Linux.

 Question 2: ltdl (libtool) searchs for the lib using the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, does
glib search on these paths as well ?

Thanks in advance.

HArring