flashing

Hello

I started with GTK 2 months ago and I'm now facing a problem with the limit between gtk and gdk :
I'm writing a program that draws small elements on a big pixmap and I want some of the elements to flash when
they are selected.

I think there are two main ways to do that :

1) redraw another pixmap, and change from one to the other one periodically, but it may be too slow and heavy.
2) playing with colormaps and timeout functions to change periodically some color values.

The second solution seems to be cool, but I've read that on modern hardware, it may be slower. Moreover I've
made several tries with no result. I'm looking for the way to create my own colormap attached to a GdkPixmap
or GtkDrawingArea, but the procedure is not so clear to me.

Does anyone could give me examples of colormap manipulation and explanations of what I have to do with
colormaps and drawables ?

Thanks

Florent
PS : Sorry for the repost