Re: How to prevent a new window to get the window manager focus

Joaquín Cuenca Abela <cuenca pacaterie u-psud fr> writes:
too bad.

<irony>
Maybe we can have an option named "don't give focus to windows, even if
the window manager thinks it has to give the focus even if elsewhere we
said that we didn't want the focus."
</irony>

You don't have to read it in a row...

Heh. ;-) Most window managers just focus windows that haven't asked
for it in all cases, without having an option, so you can't blame
Sawfish. Examples of apps that are marked "do not focus" are xclock
and xev. Users complain if they can't focus these.

The Sawfish option is basically "strictly comply with ICCCM or keep
users from complaining" I think.

Why?  I'm doing it for a menu editor in glade.  In the menu editor I
have a GtkEntry by menu item.

Ah, I think you don't really even want to turn off focus for the
submenu, right, you just don't want it focused when it initially comes
onscreen. Even harder.

The X architecture just does not really support what you're trying to
do... window managers need to assume that windows are known "kinds" of
window, otherwise they can't do anything sane with them.

So, what's the usual procedure to get something added to the WM spec?

Mail wm-spec-list with rationale and a proposal, see what people say,
prepare a patch against the spec SGML if you get some agreement.

I think you'll find you have a lot more problems with both the WM and
GTK here, though. Personally I'd be strongly tempted to just use a
GtkTreeView. ;-)

Havoc