Re: gtk in fork()ed process

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Oliver Rauch wrote:

Hi.

I am forking a gtk-program to start an external program.
When the program start fails I want to display an error message
with gtk. The display routine shall be run in the child process
(I do not want to do any inter process comunication between
child and parent process to let the parent process display the
error message).

Ofcourse you should do process communication! Else you are doing a
bad design. Let one process handle all UI-stuff and do the hard
work in separate processes. You are in a Unix-environment and it
is quite natural to device applications in this way! I can post you
some examples if you want.

There happen very strange things when the child tries to
use gtk functions. I think gtk has to be re-initialized.

Yes - offcourse! This is the wrong way to do it!

GH

Göran Hasse            email: gh raditex se     Tel: 08-6949270
Raditex AB             http://www.raditex.se
Sickla Alle 7, 1tr                              Mob: 070-5530148
131 34  NACKA, SWEDEN