gtk_entry and "changed" signal in gtk+-2.0

Hi.

In gtk+-1.2 GtkEntry is based on GtkEditable which has a signal "changed".

In gtk+-2.0 GtkEntry is based directly on GtkWidget. There is no official "changed"
signal any more (although it is emited).

Is there a defined way to get an information about any change in a GtkEntry widget
with gtk+-2.0 ?

My problem is the following:
When I use my gtk+-1.2 source for gtk+-2.0 and try to use the "changed" signal,
this in general works, but when gtk_entry_set_text() is called then the
"changed" signal is emited twice.
In the callback that is called when the first of this two "changed" signals is
emited the function gtk_entry_get_text does not return the proper text.

Is it wanted that there is no official "changed" signal any more?

Bye
Oliver