text string width and height in gtk2?

I've got an app written using gtk-1.2 that I'm trying to upgrade to gtk-2.0.   Looking through the gdk-2.0 API documentation, I see that  among the functions I need to upgrade are gdk_text_width() and gdk_text_height().   The API doc states that these functions have been deprecated, but give me no clue as to how I can replace their functionality.    I tried reading through the gtk, gdk, and Pango documentation, but just couldn't find what I need.  Could someone please point me in the right direction?  Thanks

Steven I. Usdansky, PhD
Traveling Geologist
usdanskys rocketmail com

It's not rocket science - it's rock science!