TreeModel file system browser

Hello list,
  this is my first message here.

  I'm developing with GTK 2 and CVS PyGtk, but my questions are pretty
general and not related to Python.

  I'm building a file system browser similar to NetBeans's Explorer
(http://www.netbeans.org/articles/whynetbeans/explorer.html).
  What I have now is a TreeModel where I can 'mount' local and FTP
directories (http://www.micampe.it/software/explorer/).

  Now the questions:
        * Is TreeModel subclassing a correct choiche or should I have
          used a TreeStore (note that the model is already done and
          seems to be working well, but this is Python: I can throw it
          away if somebody tells that this is a bad choiche)?
        * For FTP, the TreeModel is built on demand (a directory is read
          only if I expand its node). How can I set a busy cursor on the
          TreeView when the model is busy?
        * Can I fill in the data in a separate thread and have the
          TreeView automatically update the display?

  Thank in advance,
  mic

--
  -- Michele - www.micampe.it