scrolling to position in gtktext is slow?

Hi,

I have a large text (say 20kb) in a gtktext with point and position
being at position 0 so that the text widget shows the top of the text.
If I set the position with gtk_editable_set_position to a position at
the end of the text, the text widget scrolls line by line until that
position is reached which is slow and inefficient especially on slow
processors or on remote displays. Is there a possibility to make a
instantaneous jump to that position instead of the slow scrolling?

It's gtk+1.2.10. If it's not possible in gtk+1.2.10, is it possible on
gtk+2.0.0 (The application is not ported to gtk+2.0.0, but it's
planned..)

Thanks.

--
Melvin Hadasht