Changing font of GtkText object text already in place

Greetings!

I am attempting to implement highlighting of matching brackets in a GtkText
widget.  Finding the matching character is simple enough but I'm looking for
a fast way to temporarily change the matching bracket to a different color
and background.

I've tried quickly deleting the text and re-inserting it with the changed
color but it does not appear where I've set the point to and I think I'm
running into trouble by using gtk_text_insert() within the function
modifying the text widget.

Is there a way to get at the text, similar to gtk_editable_get_chars(), but
which lets me alter the properties of a selection of text?

Help appreciated!

Ron Kneusel
rtk cmed com