Re: Why can't I set a spin button uneditable/disabled?

Ok, I guess I need sleep.  It is there through GTK_EDITABLE.  :)

I did notice though, that just setting it uneditable, still allowed it to be spun, and only setting it invisible made it somewhat obvious to the user that it should not be spun, even though it still can be. I can see this because I can click one of my RBs, which then puts a * in the other SBs (I set editable false and visible false), then I can spin those, click their associated RB to make them visible/editable again, and see that the values did indeed change. Is that fixed in Gtk- 2.0?

I don't know how I missed that though. I did look at GtkEditable before sending out that last e-mail.

I would like to see the docs have the functions in alphabetical order though, and show derived functions if possible (which would have made this really easy to see). :)

Sorry,

Mark

Mark Jones wrote:

I am curious why I can not set a spin button such that it is not editable, or disable it somehow, as I can with a text area (Gtk- 1.2 -- gtk_entry_set_editable )

If I have two of them, each associated with a radio button, I might want to disable one when its associated radio button isn't selected. It seems like I would not be the first to want to do something like this. Which also means perhaps there is a good reason this does not exist (if I haven't just missed seeing it). It is essentially to keep the user from thinking they are setting the correct spin button, when they are not -- a user friendly feature that I like (of course this can be helped by horizontal/vertical alignment, but still, I like to be sure).

I guess I could create my own version of it, but it seems like this should be available already. I checked in Gtk- 2.x and it has not changed to have this feature. I think it should definitely be a feature of any basic widget that is editable in some fashion. In Java Swing (where I'm coming from) the setEditable() function is a member of any JComponent, of which the parallel objects JSpinner, JComboBox, and JTextField, and JTextArea are all derived from.

If I have missed something, for example if there is a function for something higher up in hierarchy, let me know. The Gtk documentation would definitely (in my opinion) be easier to use if the functions were listed alphabetically. Is there some way the program that creates the documentation can be easily be set to alphabetize the functions in the API docs?

Thanks,

Mark