(dummy problem) Cannot compile at all !!!

I'm having trouble to compile.  I admit that I'm not
guru in programming... please help !  I'm stuck !

At the top of my name.c file I put :
include <stdio.h>;
include <gtk.h>;
etc.

at the prompt, when I try to compile with :
$gcc name.c -o name
it give me this error :
name.c:3:17: gtk.h : File not found

I try to compile directly in the directory of gtk-1.2
where all the header files are.  Didn't help...
I cannot tell the compiler where is gtk.h in any ways
and all the other header files...
I think it's not a big problem, but I didn't find any
informations that help me on that yet...

Matt