Re: turning off display of changes for a gtk (gdk-built) widget

Dan Stromberg wrote:

When I do this, the user can see a sequence of moves being replayed.
It's not the most pleasing thing to look at.

Is there any simple way I can temporarily turn off display of changes,
kind of like the refresh() call in curses, so that people won't see my
changed board until the changes are complete?

Some widgets support freeze/thaw. I use that for a text window and for a table, where I freeze the widget, make all my updates without anything being drawn, and then thaw it to allow the refresh.

You might want to check the widget heirarchy involed in the board widget, and see if any level of it supports a freeze/thaw. If so, it might be much easier that the double-buffer suggestions.

Eric