combo boxes

Hello,

        I have a combo box widget which I use to allow the user to input a
date.  When the arrow is pressed to drop down the combo box list, a
GtkCalendar widget should appear (and does).  However, it appears with
very strange colors: See the attached (small) picture to see what I
mean. The picture looks strange because I set the quality very low,
but you can see that the days of the month are missing, except for the days
from the previous and next months, and the month/year bar is the wrong
color. Why is that? What could be causing this, and how do I prevent it?

Also, I would like the GtkCalendar to remain on the screen until the
user clicks somewhere outside the Calendar widget.  Right now, the first
click on the calendar widget closes it, which makes it cumbersome to
select a date. How can I keep the calendar from closing as soon as the
user clicks it?

here is the source where I create and attach the combo box to a table:

GtkWidget *calendar=NULL;
GtkWidget *list_item=NULL;
new_widget=gtk_combo_new();

/* Create the calendar widget */
calendar=gtk_calendar_new();
gtk_widget_show(calendar);

/* Create the list widget */
list_item=gtk_list_item_new();
gtk_widget_show(list_item);

/* Add the calender to the list item */
gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(list_item), calendar);
gtk_combo_set_item_string(GTK_COMBO(new_widget), GTK_ITEM(list_item), "Date String");
/* Add the list item to the combo */
gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(GTK_COMBO(new_widget)->list), list_item);

Thanks a lot for your help!

-Ron

PS-this is all being done with GTK+-1.2.