GTK+2.0 memory footprint

Hi all,

I am investigating the transition from GTK 1.2 to GTK 2.0. I have done a
'ldd' on one of the sample programs (buttonbar) i was surprised by the many
shared libraries that are needed. Not that this is a problem, but after
writing down the memory used by the libraries i was shocked (i have done a
standard make; make install of the sources).

I am writing embedded apps and have NOT much disk memory available. So i am
interested in minimizing the shared libraries as much as possible. Here are
some facts of the target environment for those who have some hints for me:

Running on X
Need unicode for internationalisation (Pango)
Only need the basic widgets
Only simple icons
Only need limited set of fonts
HTML decoding required in the near future

Is there any possible way to customize the libraries (leave things out :-) ?
Any other hints/links regarding embedded environment are appreciated.

Kind regards,
Petro Verheuvel