Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 18:33:08 -0600
To: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
From: TK <tony kwok 3web net>
Sender: gtk-app-devel-list-admin gnome org
Subject: Re: where are the (help, etc.) files?

As a user I despise "environment variables" - imagine
keeping them correct and current when there are scores
of different application on a computer. And there is no
guarantee that their names will not collide. Thus I much
prefer to assume only that there will be some fixed
relationship between the executable and its auxilliary
(help, overall configuration, maker's plate, etc.) files.
Perhaps they cohabitate in the same directory. Then
(from the command line at the initialization time -
 if there is no other way)  I get the path to the executable
and open the required files. As long as there is a simple
message - something like:  "xyzApp initialization error:
unable to find xyzAppHelp.html in the same directory
as xyzApp) there is hardly ever a problem, even if the
used moves or renames the files.

BTW - is there a POSIX (Linux, Unix...) equvalent of Win32
GetModuleFileName() or Macintosh CFBundleGetMainBundle()
call to return full path to the current executable?

TK

Anthony K. Transportation Systems - no HTML mail please.