Gnome panel - Image zoom

I am trying to make a applet or something on the gnome panel were you
add your launchers, task list. The difference is when you mouse over the
icons and task list it will enlarge or zoom in, like in MacOSX. Does the
Gnome panel or an applet with Gnome Canvas support zooming of the icon,
but the panel staying the same height trough the whole process. If so,
how could this be done? All I can think of is that the panel has to be
seperate from the image for the image to enlarge past the panel.

Thank you,
Jason Brock
sho ev1 net