Re: Gnome TCP front-end to app.

Either use GIOChannels (g_io_channel_unix_new() and g_io_add_watch() in
GLib) or use the equivalent functions in GNet (www.gnetlibrary.org).

David

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Freivald, Joseph A, PROSH wrote:

I'm working on a front-end that communicates with a process on another
box over TCP.  The other box feeds status messages asynchronously to
the front-end, and the front-end will send messages to the back-end
processes when buttons are pressed, etc.

Sending messages based on user input is trivial because it can be
embedded in the widget callbacks.  It only needs to be executed when
the user makes a change.

What I need is a way to watch the TCP port and generate an event when
a message is available.  I have considered making a separate thread
that reads the message, checks it for validity, queues it and then
generates an event (so that the entire app doesn't have to be
re-entrant), but before I take that route, I wanted to ask for
suggestions.

--
      __          _    __ David Helder - dhelder umich edu
  ___/ /__ __  __(_)__/ / <http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~dhelder>