fill patterns in DrawingAreas

Hello to all,

I have a question about DrawingAreas. I assume that is what would be used for paint programs and such. You can draw rectangles currently, but can you fill them with patterns as you can in Java?
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/2d/display/strokeandfill.html

What about if you wanted two partially overlapping rectangles, say one with blue diagonal lines going from NW->SE and one with red diagonal lines from NE->SW, and you would end up with a x-cross of the two in the common area (so really, each fill is transparent), can something like that be done with the current API, without developing code on our own to draw all of the individual diagonal lines?

Thanks,

Mark