forcing window/dialog focus until actioned

I'm currently using gtk+ on a linux TOUCHSCREEN epos application.
I've found my way around most problems, but the idiosyncrasies of a non mouse
and non keyboard environment pose other complications. In trying to
circumnavigate problems there appears to be differing behaviour depending on
linux type and release version. Anyway I'll pose the first problems and take
it from there:-

I'm using fvwm2 becuase it seemed to offer the leanest, least interfering and
most appropriate bed. I have tried the others, but without spending
unavailable time I've found nothing more suitable to this kind of project.

1. In general, is there a way of forcing a dialog or popup to remain visible
until responded to?
I've found that if a generic prompt/question is called, it is not really
feasible to say which window will be underneath it and that touching same
window, particularly the perimeter will cause that window to blot out the
prompt which, as it happens, may be a necessary in-line function. The prompt
is modal and thus, as far as the user is cocerned the app is frozen.
I tried using popup rather than toplevel, which looks and performs more
appropriately, but, the popup seems transparent to desktop menu clicks and,
worse, on some macihine/OS configurations is completely inactive.

2. Is it possible to lose the mouse cursor, it just gets in the way !

That'll do for now., hope it's not too convoluted.