catching destroy signal

Hello,
I am trying to catch the destroy signal that the top-level window gets from the window manager.  I am using:

gtk_signal_connect(GTK_OBJECT(window), "destroy", GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(switch_to_button_dont_quit), NULL);
int switch_to_button_dont_quit(GtkObject *object, gpointer func_data){
        gtk_widget_hide_all(window);
        gtk_widget_show_all(ppbutton->window);
        gtk_signal_emit_stop_by_name(object, "destroy");
        return(TRUE);

This works fine the first time:  My main window is hidden and a smaller top-level window with only a button
appears.  However, after using the button to re-show the main window, it does not work again (the WM destroy
is just ignored).  What am I missing here?  Any ideas?

thx,
broc