problems with accessing GtkWidgets in arrays (arrays of structures)

Ok, maybe I'm just completely missing something but I'm doing something
like this

struct row {
GtkWidget *labela;
GtkWidget *labelb;
};

row rows[10];

for(x=0;x<10;x++){
        rows[x].labela = gtk_label_new("label");
        rows[x].labelb = gtk_label_new("label");
}
for(x=0;x<10;x++){
        gtk_widget_show(rows[x].labela);
        gtk_widget_show(rows[x].labelb);
}
for(x=0;x<10;x++){
        gtk_widget_realize(rows[x].labela);
        gtk_widget_realize(rows[x].labelb);
}

Now if i do label1 through label20 individually they work. Doing it this
way doesn't, however.

In between setting the labels and showing them, I attach them to a
table.  Again, everything works when I revert to explicitly making each
a separate GtkWidget *widget; declaration.  As it is now nothing shows
up when it should, but nothing is locked up or errors out.  It's like it
just doesn't exist.