Buttons within buttons

Dear all,

Is it allowable to create a button of some sort (radio in my desired case)
and put an hbox in it instead of a conventional label?

If so, are there any restrictions on what I can put in that hbox? For
example, I'd like to add some labels and a spin-button.

The reason I ask is that I used to do this with GTK+ V1.3.9 and it worked
fine.  However, since upgrading to V1.3.14 I have found that it no longer
works.  Any mouse actions I perform seem to be grabbed by the underlying
button and count as a click on that rather than on the spin-button.  I
therefore can't change the value in the spin button at all - it simply runs
my main button-clicked handler.

As I say, this used to work so I'm wondering whether or not something has
changed such as the order in which mouse input is handled by widgets
within/on-top-of other widgets?

Should it still work, or am I doing something that's not allowed (but has
worked by accident in the past)?

Thanks in advance,
Richard Warren.