Re: "Why would an always displayed list be better than a popup list?"

Norman Black wrote:

Fine argument for radio buttons. Radio buttons always show the user all
available options and a popup selection does not. I would have to say
that I also would prefer radio buttons. What about list verses popup
list.

Well, a listbox requires less user interaction than a popup one, and
user clicks should be considered "sacred" (to borrow a term from Isaacs
and Walendowski's "Designing from Both Sides of the Screen").

A listbox also makes more of the available options visible immediately,
even if you can't see the whole list at once, which can reduce the need
for users to drop down the list just to see if the setting they'd like
is even there at all.

A listbox is also the only viable alternative if you need
multi-selection (unless you employ the cunning but inaccessible trick
that the Amiga does), but I'm assuming you don't in this case.

For options that are rarely used by the user, a combo is an good option
since it clutters up the display less. IMO

Lack of space is certainly one argument for using dropdown controls,
yes.  As with most of UI design, there's no "right" answer that you can
apply to every situation, you have to treat every window on a
case-by-case basis.  But I'd tend to agree with the notion that others
have stated that when there's a straight choice, listboxes are
preferable to their dropdown equivalents.

Cheeri,
Calum.