Re: Widget control

   There is an article on Embedded Linux Journal (January/Feb 2002) Issue 07.
The article was written by Chuck Groom (cgroom bluemug com)
   He is describing the same environment you described here (i.e. no
keyboard/mouse). Sorry, I could not find any web site for it.

   Harring

--- Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:

"Petro Verheuvel" <pverheuvel zonnet nl> writes:

I want to start programming an embedded application using GTK. I
have no keyboard or mouse. Instead, some special button-events are
received through a properiety ioctl(). Now, what is the best way to
control the widgets/buttons? I need to select items from a toolbar,
present some clists, actually nothing complex. Should i use calls in
which widgets and buttons are activated or is it possible/easier to
translate the button-events in signals and let standard GTK handling
take place ?! If the signal-thing is possible, how may it be done?

Any ideas welcome.

There's a gdk_event_put() you can use to put events in the queue, but
you have to be very careful not to break the semantics that GTK
expects.

It would be easier to maintain those semantics if you added support
for your device to X or to the framebuffer port of GTK, maybe.

Havoc

=====
"We should do smart things with stupid technology before we do stupid
things with smart technology."
                              --Bill Buxton, Alias Research

Harring Figueiredo