separating input and output X event windows (classic MVC?)

Is there a recommended way of separating input and output windows under
X? I have a situation where I'd like to have an output only view widget
and a "transparent" input-only X window on top of it which takes care of
the mouse and keyboard. I have two reasons for this request:
- the view widget is pluggable while the controller (input) widget will
be the same regardless of the view --- therefore no need to duplicate
code
- since the controller will be accepting mouse input, translating them
to a new coordinate system and re-exporting them I would rather get and
re-export the events as quickly as possible

ie.
instead of:
mouse move -> view -> signal mouse move -> controller -> signal mouse
move -> ...

i'd have:
mouse move -> controller -> signal mouse move -> ...

Patrick