Selecting text in a GtkTreeView widget

Hello,

I tried to post this on 07 Dec, but I don't think it made it to the list. I
received no replies from the previous posting, and I couldn't find it in the
mailing list archives. My apologies if you've already seen this:

I would like to be able to select some text in a GtkTreeView cell
(G_TYPE_STRING) with the left mouse button, and past it into another
application (such as emacs) with the middle mouse button.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?  Right now, when I click on a GtkTreeView
cell, the entire row is selected.  Making the cell editable does allow me
to select and paste, but I don't want the text to be editable.

Thanks,
Alban