problems using vte /and/ gnome widgets

I gave myself a break for a few days.. and then came back to my problem
and tried it again.

There are two approaches to what I want to do, and both give me
different problems.

I am creating an application using vte to get a terminal widget.
I have been given some help to create a minimal application that uses
vte, and it works. But I cannot for the life of me get this minimal gtk
application to use any gnome widgets.

However if I use glade and some generated code, all the gnome widgets
etc work perfectly, but for the life of me I can not get vte to work.

I have gone about using glade, using a custom widget, and then in the
function to create it I have placed the relevant vte code. However I
know the makefile needs some vte references (-lvte) but at no stage in
using glade-2 can I see how to include this requirement. And so vte is
never recognised no matter where I put my #include <vte/vte.h>.

As for the minimal gtk app that works with vte, I have no idea how to
edit the Makefile to make it recognise and use gnome widgets etc.

Can anyone offer help with either of these problems?

--
                Azrael

Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave
of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it
would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.