How to define own signals

Hi all

I am building a gtk application and would like to define my own signals. Is it actually possible? OK, I would like my event not to react to an user action like button presed, mouse moved or sth. like that, but it should be emmited to the GUI from my controller only when some conditions are true.

Iurgently need some hints, documentation about this, and thank everyone for any contribution for this thread.

---
Eric Tchepannou