gnome-panel 2.0

Has anyone managed to use this successfully as part of a proper
application (i.e. not as an applet in its own right).
I have looked at the code for the volume control and the following macro
is called to kick things off:

#define PANEL_APPLET_BONOBO_FACTORY(iid, type, name, version, callback,
data)   \
int main (int argc, char *argv[])                                               \
{                                                                               \
        gnome_program_init (name, version,                                      \
                            LIBGNOMEUI_MODULE,                                  \
                            argc, argv,                                         \
                            GNOME_PROGRAM_STANDARD_PROPERTIES,                  \
                            NULL);                                              \
        return panel_applet_factory_main (iid, type, callback, data);           \
}

Now, I have already done my gnome_program_init so I dont need to do it
again, or do i?  They then run the panel_applet_factory_main function
which I call directly instead of this macro.  The callback function I
provide doesn't get called for some reason??  The callback and the code
above it is replicated from the volume applet (just to get started).

Any ideas?

Plus I have been unable to find any documentation related to VERSION 2
of gnome-pannel, is there any?

Regards,

Martyn