Re: why I can't upgrade gtk+

Hi!

Fist of all, with this question you are may be wrong here and you should use
the "gtk-list gnome org" instead, but thats pointless.

my os is red hat 7.3.I download gtk+2.0.6.tar.gz and use the following
command:
tar -xzvf gtk+2.0.6.tar.gz
//goto gtk+2.0.6
./configure

Maybe your RedHat provides this new package, so you dont have to install it
manually. This generally makes sense, so RedHat can update the package if
necessary and you dont have to mess up with all these stuff.

an error occured: my pkgconfig and glib are too old
so I download them and use the following command:
tar -xzvf ~
./configure
make
make install
everything seems ok,but when i use the command :
rpm -q pkgconfig
I find it didn't upgrade ,the version didn't change.The same with glib.
I wander if I had left something undone.I am very appreciated if you can
tell me the answer.

Using packages from both your package distributor an sources can be tricky
:) maybe you should FIRST uninstall your RedHat packages (be careful here with
dependencies) for glib and pkgconfig, then reinstall it from source.

After that you can't use rpm to show information about these packages I
think. Instead, you should look in your libdir if gtk+-2.0 has been installed
correctly.

Regards,

--
Simon Fuhrmann | NightSlayer gmx de | www.dismember.de