ABout keyboard navigation

Hi All,

I am trying to navigate through some GtkEntry and GtkButton widgets using
keyboard keys. Several problems appear:

1)
I am experiencing problems changing the focus using the cursor-up/dn keys;
As a matter of fact the focus is lost after pressing a cursor-up/dn key. I
am writing the app. in glade using GTK v1.3.

2)
I thought it was built-in in GTK that pressing the space-key on a button
which has focus automatically generates a click-event AND shows a short
visual effect that the button was pressed. But i can not find any of this
type of behaviour.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

Kind regards,
Petro Verheuvel