gtk_tree_view_column_pack_start

I need some small help with the function gtk_tree_view_column_pack_start().

I am trying to have a item/subitem try tree with images on each level but put into the same column packed
before the text.

When I add my column using gtk_tree_view_insert_column_with_attributes() for the first GtkCellRenderer (the
image), all is fine.  I then use the same call for the next column (the text).  When I run the application
the cell is fine, except the data changes when i move the mouse over it AND there is an additional column
with the text (which doesnt change when moving the mouse).

However, if I dont use this function and I create a column myself setting the attributes the same way, the
image is placed, but the text is not anywhere to be seen?

Does anyone have any examples / ideas / tutorials?  I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Regards,

Martyn Russell