Slow loading using GtkTextBuffer/TextView

Hi,

I am loading a file into memory with g_file_get_contents and then
converting it to utf8. Then I set the text to be contents of a
GtkTextBuffer like this:
gtk_text_buffer_set_text(buffer, utf8, length);

This all works fast and each function return almost immediately. But
when I create a new GtkTextView with the GtkTextBuffer mentioned above
and shows it, it is still not finished loading the file it seems. Or,
the GtkTextView is extremely slow on updating it's contents. I am not
sure if I have made myself clear here ... but does anyone know a way to
quickly fill a GtkTextBuffer/TextView with a lot of data?

Regards,
Janus N. Tøndering

--
Janus Nørgaard Tøndering
email: j nus person dk or u011014 daimi au dk

"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
-Phil Hughes, Linux Journal Magazine