Re: Font-related X-server bloat with GTK2?

Brett Granger <bdgranger alum mit edu> writes:
I built an instrumented X server and have been able to determine that
the first time the app is launched I get about 44 OpenFont/QueryFont X
protocol request pairs while the rc file is being parsed.  On all
subsequent launches, I only get 4 requests instead of 44 -- I assume
the X server must have cached the information that the font requested
is not available?

GTK caches the information in a property on the X server.

If you're going low-bloat, using the Xft backend instead of the core X
font backend may be a good idea...

Havoc