Re: GtkTreeView: displaying structures and sorting

martine cs washington edu writes:
I've scoured the documentation and glanced over the mailing list, and
I'm surprised this isn't a FAQ.

TreeView is so new we don't have enough sample data to recognize FAQs
yet (except "how do I set the color of a row" ;-)

At least in the context of this
program, there are many different places where I want to display some
sort of list of structures, and I imagine that most other programs would
too.

So how should I be doing it?  (Assume that my structure is sorta
heavyweight and I'd like to avoid copying the data needlessly if at all
possible.)

And, finally, while I have your attention: even if I pick the first
option, accepting that the list store will duplicate all of my data and
I'm careful to refresh the data when it changes, how can I sort data
that is displayed by a Pixbuf?  (For example, I have a "type" column,
which displays an icon representing the type; sorting on it should at
least group the rows by their type, and I'd like to choose the order
myself.)

I think the basic answer is that you want to set the sort function.
You can apparently have an arbitrary number of sort functions; the
"column IDs" for the sort functions are separate IDs from the model or
view column IDs. Or something, it confused me too. ;-)

Havoc