Focus navigation in GTK 1.2

Hi,

I've been wondering about how focus navigation is controlled in GTK. I now
understand that each widget can be configured focusable or not - labels,
for instance, are not by default - and that we cycle focus more or less
sequentially on tab (and shift-tab back). However, I still wonder about
this point:

Is there a "focus position" or "order" by which one could specify which
widget comes after which when tabbing? Or does GTK calculate this
automatically and we accept what we get? It seems strange, because this
reduces accessibility somewhat, and makes larger interfaces hard on
mouseless users.

Any ideas?

Take care,