Re: show the content of a dialog window

Hi,

soudant cogenit fr writes:

I am a newbie in GTK. Perhaps my question is stupid.

you shouldn't post questions about general usage of GTK+
to gtk-devel-list. This list's purpose is to discuss the
development of GTK+.

I have made an application with Glade using GTK. The
GUI application loads a text application in a child
process. Both are communicating via pipes.
The standard input and output of the text application
are redirect in the pipes.

The text application needs interactivity. The goal of
the GUI application is to propose a user-friendly
application. Times to times I need show a window,
who propose some commands. This window contains a label
with the commands, a text entry to type the command
and a button to apply the command.

When this window appears, it is blank. They are no
label, no button, and the text entry is not usable.
What's happened ? Who could help me ?

the code GLADE generates is really ugly and I can only
strongly suggest you try to learn how to code GTK+ by
hand. Since you haven't posted all your code, I can only
guess what is causing your problem. I'd say you create
the dialog and forget to show all the widgets in it. Or
you call gtk_widget_hide_all() on it at some point
(which is a rarely useful function, but I saw that you
used it in your code). Later on you try to show the
window:

gtk_widget_show_now((GtkWidget *) dialogCommand);

this command will only show the window, but not all
widgets you've put inside. Try to replace that call
by gtk_widget_show_all() or make sure that all widgets
are shown and only the dialog window gets hidden and
shown when needed.

Salut, Sven