Maximum size of text view

(I'm using Gtk+ 1.3.9).

I have two text views in a vbox.  I want the upper view to have a maximum size of 5 lines of text (in the
standard font), like this:

  * if the window grows and the top view already has 5 lines, all
    new space is given to the lower view
  * if the window shrinks, the top view stays at 5 lines until the
    bottom view has shrunk as much as possible, and then it starts
    to shrink.

In Gtk widgets seem to have minimum sizes, but I can't figure out how to give them maximum sizes.

Also, it's not clear how to figure out how large text will be with a given texttag.

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/