Boggles with GtkAdjustments and VScrollbars...

I'm having a bit of a difficulty with a vscrollbar (GTK 1.2.10).
I created my own adjustment and created a new vscrollbar using the
adjustment that I created to control it.

I want my program to be able to control the upper boundary of the
adjustment and therefor the upper boundary of the scrollbar.

What I am doing is this, it's kind of unconventional, but I don't see
why it can't be done:

I have a table of a list of ten items that I want to control with the
scrollbar (i.e. if there are more than 10 items, it will show item number
adjustment->value thru adjustment->value PLUS 10) so the list will not shrink
if there are less than 10 items (instead, the unused items will just
be blank) and will not grow beyond 10 items.

The problem I'm having is, when I change the upper value of the adjustment
it resets the adjustment->page_size to adjustment->upper MINUS adjustment->lower.

Since my table is ALWAYS 10 items, is there a way I cam prevent it from changing
the page size of my adjustment?

Thank You,

Gordon R. Ellsworth, Jr.