Re: Create the "basic" window

Fabio Rotondo <fsoft galactica it> writes:

  I need to write an app that will create a "backdrop" window on the desktop. The same
way GMC does.

GMC doesn't do this; it just puts some small icon windows on top of
the background. Nautilus does this though.

What kind of window should I create? Is there any special issue I should care about?

Basically you need to set some special X hints, see
http://www.freedesktop.org for the WM spec describing them, and see
Nautilus source code. GTK provides no high-level facility for doing
these things, since the spec postdates GTK 1.2 (and also because it
wouldn't be portable to Windows).

Havoc