Re: GTK+ GLArea widget and GIMP problems

Whenever I run an application that uses the GTK+ GLArea widget, GIMP's
screen grab function stops working. I tried getting a particular window
and getting the entire screen, I hear a beep and then nothing happens.

I tried using XV and it says something about `cannot get Window' and
that's it.

Hi,
I fully confirm what you said regarding
Gimp, this is the exact message I get:

xwd: Warning. Error in XWD-color-structure (flag)
xwd: EOF encountered on reading
xwd: load_image (xwd): XWD-file /home/carlos/.gimp/tmp/gimp_temp.294110.xwd has format 2, depth 24
and bits per pixel 24.
Currently this is not supported.

However, XV works for me, I have been doing screenshots
from my GTK-GTKGLArea-Mesa app using XV. I save these images
as .gif, .png whatever, and THEN handle them with Gimp.

I am using GTKGLArea 1.2.1 and Mesa 3.0/3.4, both Gimp and XV
versions are rather old, the ones that came with RH5.2

Because the OpenGL API does not contain any platform or window system
specific calls, a mechanism for integrating OpenGL calls with your
platform is required.  With X, that mechanism is the GLX server
extensions.  GLX generally works behind the scenes, keeping
OpenGL-specific state associated with otherwise "normal" X resources
like visuals, windows, etc.  What's being suggested is that that's
somehow interfering internally with XGetImage().  You might explore
upgrading your GLX and/or OpenGL implementations.

I'm currently using the latest Mesa3D 3.5

Should I notify the author of Mesa3D about this problem?

I don't think so. I suggest installing the latest version
of Gimp and if that does not work, notify the Gimp team.

Try again with XV. The message that you get "cannot get Window"
is probably due to a different thing. I just do:

xv<return>
Grab<Click> /* Grab dialog comes up */
Grab<Click> /* on the Grab dialog */
pointer over the screenshot window and <Click>

Carlos