Re: Gtk & OpenGL

I 've used the GTK GLArea widget, this is a widget that basically creates
an OpenGL drawing context. It's extremely convient and we're using this
with our new modeller.

Download the gtkglarea widget library and take a look at its examples.

http://www.student.oulu.fi/~jlof/gtkglarea/

Note that you should follow its examples to the letter, espessially with
signals or else you get a segfault.

I don't think this is maintained anymore though, since I haven't heard
from the author in a year.

GtkGLArea is way too important to stay as it is. GtkGLArea is
the bridge between Gtk and OpenGL, and in my opinion it works
rather well, I never had a single problem with GtkGLArea,

Presently GtkGlArea can be accessed from a rather low-profile URL:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~jlof/gtkglarea/
and none seems to know whether it is still maintained or not.

Why cannot GTKGLArea be obtained from a central official
site, exactly as Pango? What are the plans for GTK 2.0,
in what regards GTKGLArea? GLX was recently open-sourced
by SGI, does this change anything? are there some new
plans out there that we really don't know?

For instance, current versions of GTKGLArea will work with GTK 2.0?

The strategic importance of a LGPL library that
links together the two worlds, GTK (the widgets)
and OpenGL (the graphics) is enormous, particularly
when GTK, GTKGLArea and Mesa are all written in AINSI C,
so why does GtkGlArea seem to be so undervalued by the Gnome project?

Even if none has time at the moment to look at it,
at least moving it to the official Gtk or Gnome
sites would give GTKGLArea an official status that
she doesn't have now.

Carlos