Not getting button press events when running remotely

Hello all,

I am experiencing some strange behaviour and I thought there might be a
simple solution, so I'll try to keep this short. If I'm not giving enough
information, please let me know.

I have a GtkLayout called "contentarea" and I am interested in receiving
button press events on this GtkLayout. I am using Glade, so in the "Select X
Events" window I have selected "GDK_BUTTON_PRESS_MASK". To connect the
signal to my handler, I use:

  gtk_signal_connect(GTK_OBJECT(bi->contentarea), "button-press-event",
                     GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(on_contentarea_button_press_event), bi);

This works fine when when I run my program on the machine that is also
running the X server (RedHat 7.0, XFree86 4.0.2, gtk-config --version
returns 1.2.8).

However, when I run my application on a RedHat 6.2 machine (gtk-config
--version returns 1.2.7) and send the output to the previously mentioned
RedHat 7.0 machine, I'm not getting any button press events, i.e. the
handler is never called.

I've tried to set the event mask manually instead of relying on Glade, and
I've tried to put a GtkEventBox behind the GtkScrolledWindow that contains
the Gtklayout, but to no avail.

Since I'm pretty much a newbie to X and GTK, I am kind of lost at this
point and would appreciate some help. Thanks in advance ...