gdk_leader_window and WindowMaker dockapps

Hey all,
I'm working on wmGAIM, a WindowMaker dockapp plugin for gaim (www.sourceforge.net/projects/wmgaim) and ran
into some problems with actually making a dockapp.

I was using the libdockapp but created some compatibility issues with the gtk code so I ripped off a lot of
the initialization code from wmxmms.  It uses a pointer to gdk_leader_window and gdk_window_set_icon to make
it's window the icon.  The problem is that if GAIM is already running when wmGAIM is loaded the window
doesn't appear at all.  I've been pouring through documentation and source code to try to figure out exactly
what gdk_leader_window does/how to get around this but to no avail.  Any suggestions?
Aaron