Re: Skins and Themes in GTK

One of the cool things about GTK is that you can change the appearance of
your application without having to write new code.

From my understanding, there's 2 level of appearance customization:
- setting styles in a resource file, either the default .gtk.rc or a custom
one your application loads.
    This is good enough for mapping texture, and changing colors and fonts,
but that won't change the shape of a widget (i.e. your checkbox won't become
round if it was square)
- use a theme engine. This is a separate piece of code GTK can load
dynamically if you ask it to in your resource file, that can customize
widgets way more that by messing with styles.
    I haven't used that option myself yet, so I don't know precisely what is
and what isn't possible with that approach.

Related Links:
http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/ch-gtkrcfiles.html
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/gtk/gtk-resource-files.html
http://gtk.themes.org/

Hope that helps,
Henri

Dpetrini genius org br wrote:

Hello,

This is my very first message in this list.
I was asked to manage great changes in some applications written in GTK,
using Linux.

The point is that I have to change an application to have a new and
different skin, or theme if you prefer.
So that I have to make substancial modifications in the code and I wonder
the definitions of the primitives of  GTK.
I looked the GTK sources and found the definifinitions of widget and gtk
windget. They sounded little confusing and I´m
looking for some documentation because I felt a lack of them in GTK.org
site.
Has anybody a suggestion on sources of docs ore good books in GTK at these
low level of the library?

Thank you in advance.

Daniel Petrini
Genius INstitute of Technology