Arrays, Returns and Fork

Here is what I have. I immediately fork to run one func that shows a
splash and while that is running a second func (in child) to run a
locate command and create an array of the returns. I then am killing the
child process. I need the array from the child in the next function that
executes in the parent. Is there a wiser way to build this array? The
locate command stalls the main app if not forked (naturally). I need the
array to build labels for radio buttons in the dialog that comes up
after the splash. Any thoughts?

TIA
Steve