how to get a gtkimage in 1.2 GTK+ from a pixmap file?

Hi, there! First, I'd like to thank you all very much for being so helpful.
I do however have yet another thing to figure out. I've been trying to use
gtkimage (old one), but I have no idea as to how to get the GdkImage *val
which is needed for gtk_image_new from a xpm file?

I am also having problems installing newest 1.3.6 GTK+, since installing
rpm's causes a lot of failed deps (so I installed it with --nodeps), but it
still can not find the -lfrretype when trying to compile programs. On the
other hand, I tried compiling from sources and ended-up having errors
related to Mesa libs since I do not use Mesa on my cpu. Any help regarding
this issue would be also greatly appreciated.

Finally, Havoc (thanks for your help!) a while ago pointed out how to use
Gtk1.3.6 instead of 1.2, and here's the snippet:

To select a GTK just use "pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0" for the
new GTK and "pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk" for the old one.

Is this what I need to put after $(CC) command in the makefile, or is this
something I run at command prompt and the change occurs system-wide? I tried
doing it on command-line and it did not work, while when I had it as a part
of the makefile, I ended up having a lot of errors in a file that compiled
flawlessly using 1.2. (my assumption is that this stems from the fact I
used --nodeps install which might now be missing a lot of stuff).

Again, thank you very much for all your help! Sincerely,

Ivica "Ico" Bukvic, composer
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/
http://bukvicrh.dyndns.org/ico/
ico fuse net