Another newbie question: Fonts

Dear Sirs,

Thank you Darin Adler for your response to my last posting.

I am using the GnomeFontPicker widget to let the user choose a font. How
do I get a list of fonts (or even better: the default system font) so
than I can set the font before the user?

I've browsed the gtk and gnome api references but I cannot find anything
on fonts. Could someone help me here, please?

--
Janus N. Tøndering
"Trying is the first step to failure" -- Homer Simpson