Re: Freeing a widget from memory...

On Monday, July 16, 2001, at 11:38  PM, Janus N. Tøndering wrote:

I am rather new to the GTK+ toolkit and I am working on my first project
using it. The GTK+ reference does not describe the gtk_widget_unref and
destroy functions. Which one should I use to free a widget from memory?
I have tried both and unref gives me a runtime warning. destroy _seems_
to be working fine.

Which should I use?

A call to gtk_object_destroy is usually the right thing. For a top level widget, destroy makes it "self-destruct" and it ends up unref'ing itself too. For other widgets, destroy typically causes its container to unref it.

Since you aren't holding a ref to the widget, you can't unref it. And if you were holding a ref to it, unref'ing it wouldn't make it go away since its container (or itself if it's a top-level widget) is still holding a ref.

    -- Darin