GtkContainer question

Hi,
    I'm writing an application where a button shows a list of widgets ,
one each time it is clicked. Before I gtk_container_add() the widget to
the button, I call gtk_container_remove(). Does this destroy the widget
already contained or does it simply remove it from its hierarchy. The
reason I'm asking is that once the list of widgets has been completely
traversed, the application crashes. I've checked to see if it the list
manipulations cause the crash but found that it crashes when
gtk_widget_show() is called on the first widget in the list.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Deepu